Joe Manganiello Takes 'A Streetcar Named Desire'
The "True Blood" star will play the iconic role of Stanley Kowalski at Yale Rep in Tennessee Williams' 1947 classic.
NEW YORK -- Stellaaagggrrrrr!!!
Joe Manganiello, the actor best known as hunky werewolf Alcide Herveaux on HBO's True Blood, will tackle the plum role of Stanley Kowalski in Tennessee Williams' 1947 drama about shattered illusions, A Streetcar Named Desire.
Directed by Mark Rucker, the production will open the 2013-14 season at Yale Repertory Theatre in New Haven, Conn., running Sept. 20 through Oct. 12.
Playing Blanche DuBois, the faded Southern belle whose facade of delicate refinement doesn't wash with her brutish brother-in-law, Stanley, is Rene Augesen. The actress previously appeared at Yale Rep in The Beaux' Stratagem and A Woman of No Importance. She was a core acting company member for twelve seasons with American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco.
Casting of the remaining principal roles in Streetcar, Stella and Mitch, has not yet been announced.
A graduate of Carnegie Mellon School of Drama, Manganiello was seen flaunting his stripper moves last summer in the Steven Soderbergh hit Magic Mike, and will appear with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Worthington and Terrence Howard in David Ayer's Sabotage, due from Open Road Films in January. He is currently filming the gridiron comedy Draft Day for director Ivan Reitman, with Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner.
Manganiello's body-sculpting fitness book, Evolution, will be published by Simon & Schuster in December. He reprises his role on True Blood in the supernatural series' sixth season, which premieres on June 16.
Also on the Yale Rep season lineup is These Paper Bullets, a new adaptation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing by Rolin Jones, with original songs by Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services