Justin Bieber Arrest: Who Is Khalil Sharieff?
The 19-year-old R&B singer was arrested with Bieber early Thursday morning in Miami Beach.
Justin Bieber was arrested early Thursday morning in Miami Beach and charged with DUI, resisting arrest and having an expired driver's license. A fellow musician, Khalil Sharieff, was also arrested for DUI and found to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
The two were believed to be drag racing, reaching speeds of 55 to 60 mph in a 30 mph zone in a residential area. Bieber was driving a yellow Lamborghini, while Sharieff was behind the wheel of a red Ferrari. While Bieber is one of the world's biggest pop stars, Sharieff is less well known. THR compiles five things to know about the R&B singer.
1. He was signed to Bieber's record label. In 2008, the 19-year-old California-based R&B singer (who goes by the name Khalil) inked a record deal with Def Jam, a part of Island Def Jam. (Bieber is signed under the same company.) Sharieff was an artist on the label for several years, though he is no longer on the roster.
2. He collaborated with Bieber's friend Lil Twist. Sharieff was featured on several tracks on Lil Twist's mixtape, The Golden Child, and the two collaborated on a February 2012 release, 3 Weeks in Miami. Lil Twist was featured on a track released in early 2011 called "Hey Lil Mama." Coincidentally, Lil Twist is also a friend of Bieber.
3. He released a short documentary. In September 2012, Sharieff posted what was billed as the first part of a documentary titled, Khalil: A Long Story Short, on YouTube, which has since garnered nearly 19,000 views. "By the way I live, I like to take it slow," Sharieff said in the doc, which showed the singer in the studio. "I'm not too much of a wild guy. I don't do too much but I like to have fun, you know what I mean, so. I'm all about work, I'm all about studio, I'm all about that but I definitely like to have fun. I find a way to balance the two. If I can do that successfully then I'm pretty good."
4. His latest song was released in 2013. Sharieff released the song "Stars" on his official Vevo account in June 2013. The video has since drawn more than 276,000 YouTube views.
5. Hours before his arrest, he was in a good mood. After midnight on Jan. 23, Sharieff sent out this tweet before participating in an impromptu drag race in Miami.
Just livin life, blessed
— Khalil- - -✈ (@CrazyKhalil) January 23, 2014
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR