L.A. Times to investigate Shakur documents
EmptyThe Los Angeles Times will conduct an internal investigation concerning the authenticity of documents used in a story that implicate associates of Sean "Diddy" Combs in a 1994 assault on Tupac Shakur, the editor of the newspaper said Wednesday.
In a story posted on the newspaper Web site, Editor Russ Stanton said he ordered the review after the editor of the Web site The Smoking Gun told the newspaper he had reason to doubt the validity of the FBI records that were supposed to back up the story.
"We're taking this very seriously and we have begun our own investigation," Nancy Sullivan, a spokeswoman for the newspaper, told The Associated Press.
The Smoking Gun said the documents seemed phony because they appeared to be written on a typewriter instead of a computer, included blacked-out sections not typically found in such documents and other reasons.
Combs denies his associates were responsible for the 1994 robbery and shooting of Shakur at a New York recording studio, and that he knew about the attack in advance.
The Times has said its story last week was based on FBI records, interviews with people at the scene of the 1994 shooting, and statements to the FBI by an informant.
None of the sources was named.
The 1994 shooting triggered the celebrated feud between East and West Coast rappers that led to the killings of Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.
The story said associates hoping to curry favor with Combs -- who was overseeing B.I.G.'s white-hot career at the time -- lured Shakur to the studio because of his disrespect toward them.