15 Last-Minute Gift Ideas From the Pros
Personal shoppers from Neiman's, Saks and Barneys reveal no-fail finds (for friend, family member or fellow colleague
Catherine Bloom, Neiman Marcus
"We don't use the word 'n-o' here," says the renowned Bloom, who helps clients find eveningwear and travel and holiday wardrobes. She also will fulfill a gift list -- including recently helping one loyal client get his hands on two quarts of a beloved Texas hot sauce from a dive next to the Neiman's in Dallas. "Studios call, and they may need hundreds of gifts of a certain type; the Jimmy Kimmel crew just came in and bought all their gifts," she says. "Anything is possible at Neiman's. We're our own city, our own country club."
- Waterford Elysian vodka chiller set, $2,000 (pictured)
- Hanro pajama pants for her, $124 to $158
- Tom Ford Beauty limited-edition lip and nail box, $656
- Givenchy Rottweiler-print iPhone case, $90
- Beats By Dr. Dre rose-gold-tone on-ear headphones and pill speaker, $250. Says Bloom: "Right now, wireless speakers are hot!"
Michelle Goodman, Barneys New York
At any moment, Goodman may be pulling clothes for a pregnant celeb (she recommends Rag & Bone sweatpants) or working with celebrity stylists, execs or movie stars' wives. Harrison Ford has been spotted having her pull for Calista. She has been known to remember an entire wardrobe and hunt down items from any Barneys or online.
- The Celine Trio bag, "one of Barneys' most popular gifts," says Goodman, $1,050 to $1,200
- Blind Barber ($58) and Art of Shaving ($160) shaving kits, which are "awesome," says Goodman
- Nars sets, $39 to $500 (pictured)
- Jennifer Meyer 'XO' necklace, $550, only at Barneys (pictured)
Tony Ferreira, Saks Fifth Avenue
To better assist his royal, society and exec clients, Ferreira is redoing his offices and dressing rooms adjacent to the Saks Chanel boutique to include a kitchen and couch-strewn salon. Clients call his private clubhouse -- where he advises on clothes, car colors, doctors -- "their happy place," he says. And Saks encourages Ferreira to go above and beyond with house calls, closet pruning and, yes, gift requests.
- Ralph Lauren Finley upside-down top hat nut bowl, $195
- Vhernier diamond bracelet, $142,000
- Dior leather moto jacket, $7,600
- Luxe Me Now slippers for her by Mary Ann Weisberg, from $125 (pictured)
- Saks Fifth Avenue fox throw, $20,995
This story first appeared in the Jan. 9 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.