London Police Launch Probe Into Kevin Spacey Sexual Assault Claim

Getty Images
Kevin Spacey

"It is alleged a man assaulted another man in 2008 in Lambeth," says Scotland Yard.

London police are understood to be investigating an allegation of sexual assault made earlier this week against Kevin Spacey.

Officers from Scotland Yard’s child abuse and sexual offenses team are looking into the case of a man who said the actor sexually assaulted him in the British capital in 2008. Spacey back then was artistic director of the Old Vic theater.

"On Wednesday, 1 November, City of London Police referred an allegation of sexual assault" to the Metropolitan Police Service, also known as Scotland Yard, a London police representative said. "It is alleged a man assaulted another man in 2008 in Lambeth. Officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command are investigating."

The statement emphasized that London police do not "identify any person who may, or may not be, subject to an investigation." It added: "Being given this statement is not a confirmation of any name or profession media may attribute, or wish to attribute."

British media, including The Guardian, reported that the probe mentioned related to Spacey.

The police declined to comment on a report from The Sun that said the complainant was now 32 and used to be an aspiring actor when he met Spacey. The Sun reported that the man claimed that he passed out at Spacey's home and awoke to find the star performing a sexual act on him. He said he told him to stop and left.

Actor Anthony Rapp last weekend alleged that Spacey made an advance on him in the 1980s when he was 14 and Spacey was 26.

Netflix and House of Cards producer Media Rights Capital said Thursday they were responding to new allegations of sexual harassment made against Spacey after multiple employees of the series accused the star and executive producer of inappropriate behavior. 

comments powered by Disqus