Summer Getaways: 5 Stylish Staycations
From Manhattan Beach to Silver Lake, find repose right here in L.A. with these boutique hotel hideaways.
This story first appeared in the July 26 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
HOTEL ERWIN, VENICE BEACH
A quick jaunt from the boardwalk, the eclectic and sophisticated 119-room hotel (1697 Pacific Ave.; from $289) features the area's only open-air rooftop bar; its Barlo Kitchen is open for breakfast and dinner. Also available is the art-adorned Red Bull Dogtown loft-style private event suite, which accommodates up to 30 people.
THE CHARLIE HOTEL, WEST HOLLYWOOD
Among the 13 separate bungalows available inside this intimate hideaway in West Hollywood (819 N. Sweetzer Ave.; from $200) is a two-story cottage once belonging to Charlie Chaplin. First built in 1924, the historically preserved bungalow reopened in 2008. Other properties include the airy, upper-level Gloria and the garden-attached Marilyn.
SHADE HOTEL, MANHATTAN BEACH
Just three blocks from the pier, this ultra-modern outpost (1221 N. Valley Drive; from $329) offers 38 rooms and five suites, not to mention a Zinc lounge and bar, a breakfast terrace and a rooftop skybar with pool, all wrapped in slate, steel and stone. Complimentary bicycles are provided for guests to cruise along The Strand.
EL TRES, SILVER LAKE
This cozy inn (4439 W. Sunset Blvd.; from $225) has three suites, simply named Uno, Dos and Tres. The latter two include a private patio, balcony and media rooms, while a detached party space, the mod-Mexican styled El Salon, hosts up to 120 guests. For a tasty nightcap, all guests can head next door to hipster fave El Chavo restaurant and El Chavito bar.
PALIHOUSE , SANTA MONICA
This new 38-room boutique (1001 Third St.; from $350), the second from Paligroup after its popular West Hollywood hangout, delivers a range of options from a 300-square-footer to a 2,850-square-foot, two-bedroom residence. The Colonial Revival building's rustic interiors are complemented by a lobby cafe and bocce ball court.
Read about more summer getaways below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws