Michael Moore Reveals Video of Bomb Suspect Amid Angry Crowd at Trump Rally
The 'Fahrenheit 11/9' director compares Cesar Sayoc to "a lost dog with no direction home."
Despite "a Hulk-like exterior," Cesar Sayoc, the Florida man charged with sending 14 bombs to President Donald Trump's political opponents, was "a lost dog with no direction home," fillmaker Michael Moore wrote Sunday in an Instagram post in which he revealed footage his crew shot of a February 2017 rally that Trump held in Melbourne, Florida, in which Sayoc can been seen as part of an angry crowd chanting "CNN sucks!"
Although the three minutes and 38 seconds of raw footage did not make it into Moore's current film, Fahrenheit 11/9, Moore — who himself was pictured, with a rifle's cross hair superimposed on his image, on Sayoc's van — released the video Sunday on YouTube "if only to give you a momentary glimpse of him in action."
In his Instagram post, Moore explained he sent a crew that included producer Basel Hamden and longtime collaborator Eric Weinrib to the rally, which took place in the month following Trump's inauguration, not to film Trump himself but to capture footage of the crowds he attracts in order to understand "our fellow Americans, lost souls full of anger and possible violence, easily fed a pile of lies so large and toxic that we wondered if there would ever be a chance that we could bring them back from the Dark Side."
As the camera pans back and forth across the crowd hurling invectives at the media, Sayoc, holding aloft a "CNN sucks" sign, is briefly seen four times. "If you pause on him you will see something profound," Moore writes, "fear in his eyes."
Sayoc, he continues, belongs to a group of men who "have been led to believe, [they] were and are under attack by the likes of Hillary [Clinton] and Michelle [Obama] and all those 'feminazis' who've had but one mission: political castration. The theft of power from the patriarchy that had been in place for 10,000 years." (Watch the video below; Sayoc appears at the 0:42, 1:34, 1:44 and 3:15 marks.)
Moore goes on to say, "They have been told by Trump that they are at war — WAR! — against the rest of us, the vast, vast majority who believe climate change is real, who state without equivocation that women are equal citizens with an absolute right to control their own reproductive organs, who have seen how the free enterprise system is a hoax designed to destroy the middle class and who demand that all people have a right to easily cast their votes without any interference. Cesar and his bros ARE at war, against all these things, against us, the majority, and they are at war inside of and against themselves. This is why they will lose, but not before they take a few of us with them."
The filmmaker, who says he is no stranger to threats, admits he was "a bit shaken" to see his face among those plastered on Sayoc's van and that the authorities have been looking to see if a package had been mailed to him, but so far, none have been discovered.
Concludes Moore: "Today we grieve over the latest loss of life this weekend in Pittsburgh. As it was when fascism started to spread in the last century, it begins with just a few thugs committing random acts of violence against the people whom their leader has told them to hate. Yet no matter what awful events await us in the coming days or weeks, we will not be deterred from our singular mission: The electoral tsunami of voters we are bringing to the polls on November 6th to end this madness."
In a previous statement, issued Friday, Moore pointed to Trump and to Fox News for creating an atmosphere that breeds right-wing violence, saying, "Sadly, the new and dangerous dynamic of political violence in America is that it is now promoted and encouraged by the President of the United States. We must vote out of office all enablers of this man and the violent culture he instigates and nurtures. There are millions and millions of us who will never be intimidated, who will never back down, and who will show up on Election Day."
Read Moore's full post, below.
My crew first encountered Cesar Sayoc, the mail bomber/terrorist, 20 months ago when we went down to Melbourne, Florida, to film Trump's first "Trump 2020 Re-election Rally" — just one month after his inauguration. My direction to my producer Basel Hamdan and our longtime collaborator Eric Weinrib was to NOT film Trump, but rather only film the people who came out to see him. My feeling was, after one month in office, we didn't need to hear anything more from Trump's mouth — we already knew everything we needed to know about him. Who we needed to understand were our fellow Americans, lost souls full of anger and possible violence, easily fed a pile of lies so large and toxic that we wondered if there would ever be a chance that we could bring them back from the Dark Side. Our footage of Mr. Sayoc would never make it into the final cut of what would be the film that is now in its last week in cinemas across America. But I'd like to share it with you, if only to give you a momentary glimpse of him in action (all are free to use this video and share it). You've seen the photos of him on the news over the past couple days– a slight, normal, everyday American. But those are from before. Here with our footage I can show you what he had actually become — overdosed on steroids in what looks like some desperate attempt to hang on to what was left of his manhood. Men, people like Cesar have been led to believe, were and are under attack by the likes of Hillary and Michelle and all those "feminazis" who've had but one mission: political castration. The theft of power from the patriarchy that had been in place for 10,000 years. The end of men…[1/3]