'Midnight Rider' Accident: Sheriff's Office to Present Case to DA Next Week

Randy Thompson Photography; Bobby LaBonge
The scene where "Midnight Rider" camera assistant Sarah Jones was hit by a train.

At that point, it will be determined whether charges will be filed regarding the death of Sarah Jones, the camera assistant who was struck and killed by a train during production on the Gregg Allman biopic.

The sheriff's office investigating the death of Midnight Rider camera assistant Sarah Jones, who was struck and killed by a train in Georgia roughly two months ago, plans to discuss its findings with the district attorney next week.

After that meeting, the two sides will decide whether any charges should be filed regarding the incident, which has led to calls from various parts of the entertainment industry for better on-set safety conditions.

STORY: Who Will Be Blamed for Sarah Jones' Death?

Brunswick Judicial Circuit district attorney spokesman Mark Spaulding told The Hollywood Reporter that while it's not uncommon for the sheriff's office to meet with the DA before filing charges, often the police file charges before taking the case to the DA.

The meeting is likely to occur on Monday, but Wayne County Det. Joe Gardner told THR that his investigation is not yet complete, saying that he's "still interviewing some people." However, he added that he doubts these additional interviews will alter his findings.

STORY: A Train, a Narrow Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life

State and federal authorities are also investigating the incident. While Jones' autopsy and toxicology tests have been completed, they cannot be released until the Wayne County sheriff's office completes its investigation.

Jones was struck and killed by a train on Feb. 20 during production on the Gregg Allman biopic Midnight Rider. The crew was filming on live train tracks across a narrow trestle. While those on set were told that if a train appeared everyone would have 60 seconds to clear the tracks, after one started bearing down on them, a minute turned out to be not enough time to escape for Jones and the several other people injured.