- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Rock provocateur extraordinaire David Bowie has proven he still has a few tricks up his sleeve with his latest music video for “The Next Day,” the rollicking title song off his surprise comeback album.
Directed by Floria Sigismondi, who also helmed the video for the album’s second single “The Stars (Are Out Tonight),” the short film depicts a kinky, blood-soaked bacchanal attended by prostitutes and members of the Catholic clergy.
Money exchanges hands between a cardinal and a scantily clad redhead, blood spews forth from stigmata in Marion Cotillard‘s hands, and Gary Oldman plays a lascivious priest. Hovering above it all is Bowie himself, bathed in heavenly light and wearing Christ-like robes.
“Thank you Gary, thank you Marion, thank you everybody,” the singer says, then disappears.
Feathers, needless to say, will be ruffled.
Here then are the ten most (safe for work) shocking, graphic and controversial images from the new Bowie video. Need more context? You can watch the entire video here.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day