- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It looks like this year’s American Idol finalists will number 13.
An Idol insider tells The Hollywood Reporter that following the elimination of seven guys and seven girls from the Top 24 (airing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week), a wild card round will determine three additional finalists, to be chosen by each of the judges, Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler.
A Fox rep would not comment, and the only information the network released thus far is by way of an January announcement which stated: “The semifinalists compete on Tuesday, March 1 and Wednesday, March 2. The five male and five female contestants with the most votes will be the first to join this season’s finalists. The judges’ will also make their special Wild Card picks rounding out the finalists on Thursday, March 3.”
Of course, as in all things Idol, the countdown to the finale could play out in any number of ways. In past years, the show has employed double eliminations and saves, and as any dedicated viewer knows, the Idol rulebook is always subject to change. Worth noting: Season 8, which introduced the world to Adam Lambert, also featured a Top 13. We’ll find out soon enough…
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day