- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Adam Levine made quite a splash with fans on the first season of NBC’s singing competition, The Voice. The Maroon 5 front man’s no-nonsense approach to criticism, frisky back and forth with co-coach Christina Aguilera, and general sexual appeal made him the breakout star of the series’ inaugural season.
In a new Out magazine interview, the singer may have won even more people over. He talks of wholeheartedly welcoming his own brother’s coming out, makes suggestions for others with gay family members, and calls out Fox’s American Idol out on its perceived treatment of its contestants’ sexual orientation.
“[The Voice] is a great show because it doesn’t alienate anybody,” Levine tells the magazine of his pride in the NBC singing competition. “If you’re a talented person, and you want a career, and you’re trying to join an extremely intimidating and also completely dismantled industry — skip all that other bulls–t, and go for what can be immediately effective.”
We learned a lot about the rocker from the article. Here are five things you may not have already known about Levine:
1. One of his tattoos is dedicated to his mother. The heavily tatted Levine has one spot reserved for his mom. Alongside a dragon and the number 222 (in reference to Maroon 5’s first recording studio) is a heart around the word “Mom” on his right arm. Aw.
2. He’s a longtime friend of John Mayer’s. Mayer may have recently talked his way of many fans’ good graces, but Levine has stayed loyal to his friend. Maroon 5 toured with Mayer in 2004, which became the scene of their notorious kiss.
3. He admits to being slutty at times. “With a lot of guys who are hypersexual, it comes from some sort of disdain or dislike,” he explains. “They’re guys who love getting laid but don’t really respect women. That doesn’t mean that I haven’t been totally promiscuous and slutty in my lifetime, because I have.”
4. He loves Glee creator, Ryan Murphy. The hit Fox musical series used Maroon 5’s “Misery” off their latest album, Hands All Over, during the episode in which Kurt (Chris Colfer) and Blaine (Darren Criss) first kissed and the musician couldn’t be prouder. “It was just a cool moment,” he says. “And I love Ryan. I’m glad he used the tune.”
5. The It Gets Better Project changed his mind about gossip blogger, Perez Hilton. “Perez asked me to do it,” he says. “I found it strange that one of the biggest bullies on Earth is asking me. I was really not a fan of his. I thought he was part of the problem. In doing this, I was hoping for a change in him, and I saw one. The guy has changed his tune quite a bit. I respect that.” Watch the video here.
Watch the behind the scenes video from Levine’s sexy Out magazine photo shoot below.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day