- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Taylor Swift doing “Blank Space” is a hard act to follow, but she might’ve gotten one-upped at this year’s AMAs. Wearing a bright red pair of Lolita sunglasses, Charli XCX hit the stage to perform a medley of songs from her upcoming second album Sucker, “Boom Clap” and “Break the Rules.”
With the stage dressed up to resemble a high school prom, Charli delivered her top 10 hit and had the whole audience singing along. Even better, it was a one-two Sucker punch — She tore off her prom gown to reveal a tight leathery skirt and top and absolutely tore through her song “Break the Rules.”
At the end of her kick-ass performance, Charli grabbed a massive sucker bearing the word “Sucker” and bashed it to hell. With the stage covered in candy pieces, Charli stalked off, proving pop music can rock as hard as, well, rock music.
The 2014 American Music Awards are produced by Dick Clark Productions, a sister company of The Hollywood Reporter.
This story originally appeared on Billboard.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day