- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
New details from the Orange County Coroner’s report have revealed that American Idol season-seven finalist Michael Johns died from an enlarged heart and a “fatty liver.”
The 35-year-old singer, who died on Aug. 1 after sustaining an injury to his leg, was originally reported to have passed from a blood clot in his ankle. Members of his family had said the injury triggered a blood clot, but other sources said alcohol was to blame, according to TMZ.
A “fatty liver” can be caused by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.
The Orange County Coroner’s report concludes that Johns died of dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that inhibited the flow of blood to his body and caused his heart to enlarge.
Johns competed on the Fox music show in 2008, finishing in eighth place. He followed with a full-length album, 2009’s Hold Back My Heart, which included the single, “Heart on My Sleeve.”
Johns was a favorite of Grammy-winning producer David Foster, and performed on his PBS special, Hit Man: David Foster and Friends. He also appeared on a 2012 episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, which stars Foster’s wife, Yolanda.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Stranger Things 4
This Is Me ... Now