- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Two American Idol fans in York, Pennsylvania took a heated debate over season 12’s top two to extremes when their argument ended in multiple stab wounds.
Karen Elaine Harrelson, 48, and Gregory L. Stambaugh, 57, were watching the Idol finale in the basement of Stambaugh’s West Manchester Township home on Wednesday, May 15, when they got into a drunken argument over which finalist — Candice Glover or Kree Harrison — should win the title.
The fight escalated as Harrelson allegedly went into the kitchen to fetch a knife and the two proceeded to stab the other. According to a report in the York Dispatch, the knife exchanged hands at some point, but neither party remembers who stabbed whom first.
Both were treated at York Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries and charged with two counts of simple assault and one count of aggravated assault, according to online court documents.
Stambaugh told police that Harrelson went upstairs to the kitchen, got a knife, returned to the basement and stabbed him. He said she then went back to the main floor and Stambaugh followed her and got the knife away from her. In her version, Harrelson claims she got the knife to cut a “piece of cake,” but Stambaugh grabbed a “second knife” to cut her wrist.
Both are still in jail.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day