- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Moments after Nicki Minaj took the American Idol stage on Thursday — and sassed judge Jennifer Lopez from yards away — the rapper and pop star stopped to talk to THR special correspondent and Idol season 9 alum Didi Benami about television competition shows.
Asked if she was starting out today, would she try out for Idol, X Factor or The Voice, the “Super Bass” singer said matter-of-factly, “No, I wouldn’t. It’s very very difficult to be picked apart. I have to give it to the people that do these shows — it takes a lot of heart, it takes guts, that rejection thing is heavy.”
And since she was catapulted to fame on her own (with a big assist from Lil Wayne), how will she quantify success of her second studio album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, which is scheduled for release on April 3?
Says Minaj: “I’m blessed to put out an album that is not one-dimensional. I’m not boxed in, the world has given me the opportunity to express myself in lots of different genres of music. … I’m truly showing myself, as oppose to feeling I have to do this because someone says I have to do this. That’s how I measure success.”
Watch more of her interview with The Hollywood Reporter in the video above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day