- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
American Idol finalist Phillip Phillips, who has suffered from ongoing kidney problems throughout the competition, has been ordered by doctors to undergo “immediate” surgery.
The singer refused treatment when he returned to his hometown of Leesburg, Ga., last weekend in order to adhere to the show’s rigorous shooting schedule. And sources inside the production tell The Hollywood Reporter that Phillips has been experiencing pain “so severe” that he’s been granted permission to sit out the weekly high-concept (and physically exhausting) Ford video shoots for several weeks now.
“I’ve been sick, so they gave me those days to rest,” Phillips told THR when asked about his absence. The network has no comment on Phillips’ health status.
Phillips received emergency medical treatment in March for extreme abdominal pain but made it back in time for the Top 13 results show. He’s a favorite to take the title when the winner is announced May 23 on Fox.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day