- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Beckett Cypher, Melissa Etheridge’s son with her former partner Julie Cypher, has died. He was 21.
Etheridge paid tribute to her son in a statement shared on her social media, writing: “Today I joined the hundreds of thousands of families who have lost loved ones to opioid addiction. My son Beckett, who was just 21, struggled to overcome his addiction and finally succumbed to it today.”
“He will be missed by those who loved him, his family and friends. My heart is broken. I am grateful for those who have reached out with condolences and I feel their love and sincere grief. We struggle with what else we could have done to save him, and in the end we know he is out of the pain now. I will sing again, soon. It has always healed me,” Etheridge wrote.
The singer-songewriter and Cypher had two children together — a daughter, Bailey, and son, Beckett. Cypher became pregnant with the children via artificial insemination, and the biological father was later revealed to be singer-songwriter David Crosby.
The Hollywood Reporter has reached out for comment.
May 13, 6 p.m. Updated to include Etheridge’s statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day