- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“For years people said if I didn’t do something on Broadway that I should see a psychiatrist… and so I’m here,” so says Motown Records founder Berry Gordy in a new video (below) entitled “An Inside Look at “Motown: The Musical” that hit the web on Monday.
Gordy is seen standing with the great Smokey Robinson on the floorboards at a Broadway theatre at a fundraiser for the show with Aretha Franklin, L.A. Reid, Rev. Jessie Jackson, Gayle King and others in attendance.
Perhaps the most telling moment in the clip is what Sony Music CEO Doug Morris, one of the show’s producers, has to say about Hitsville U.S.A. “Motown Records,” he says “is the most unique record company in the history of the music business.”
Other featured speakers in the video include actors Brandon Victor Dixon and Valisia Le Kae, director Charles Randolph-Wright and producer Kevin McCollum. The show opens in previews at Broadway’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on March 13. The motor city’s Chrysler is the show’s main sponsor.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day