- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Beyonce broke the record for most VMA wins during the 2016 edition of the awards show, winning her 21st trophy overall when she took home the Moonman for best female video.
The previous record holder was Madonna, who has won 20 VMAs, most recently the award for best cinematography for “Beautiful Stranger” in 1999. Beyonce went into Sunday night’s awards show with 16 Moonmen and was nominated for 11 awards, a career best.
Her best female video win for “Hold Up” put her over the top. Earlier in the night, she won Moonmen for best choreography, direction, cinematography and editing. She later won the top prize of video of the year, for “Formation,” which she dedicated to the people of New Orleans. She also won the VMA for best longform video for “Lemonade” as well as best pop video for “Formation.” The pop superstar took home eight awards in total on Sunday night, tying Lady Gaga’s record for the most wins in one night by a female solo artist in VMA history.
Accepting the best female video prize, Beyonce thanked co-director Jonas Akerlund, MTV and her fans, telling the audience to “have a beautiful night.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day