- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Following a spirited introduction from Nicki Minaj, Lorde took the stage dressed in a striking all-black ensemble, complete with a wide-brimmed Zorro-style hat. Close-ups showed the singer squeezing the emotion out of every word, as she performed the electro-goth song.
The performance marked the first ever televised rendition of the song, which appears on Lorde’s 2013 debut album “Pure Heroine.”
The 17-year old New Zealand native has been riding high since “Royals” became a surprise hit last year. It eventually topped the Hot 100 and earned the Grammy for Song of the Year. Subsequent singles “Team” and “Tennis Court” have peaked at 6 ant 71, respectively.
Lorde is tied with Imagine Dragons for being a finalist in the most categories at this year’s Billboard Music Awards, and in the first half of the show she won Top New Artist and Top Rock Song, for “Royals.”
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day