- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The singer reportedly found a polyp on his throat, which may have to be surgically removed. Adele had a similar procedure in 2011, later claiming it made her voice sound less husky and higher than before.
“I want to be able to perform to the best of my ability and the specialist has told me that right now that will be impossible,” Boy George – real name George Alan O’Dowd — said in a statement, adding that he was “devastated” at the news.
“I will focus on getting better and see all my fans soon,” he added.
Culture Club were due to play 10 shows in the U.S., moving from west coast to east, before beginning an 11-date tour in the U.K. It would have been the first tour since 2002 featuring Boy George and band mates Mikey Craig, Roy Hay and Jon Moss.
Formed in 1981 in London, the band became rose to prominence in the U.S. largely thanks to the rise of MTV. They won a Grammy for best new artist in 1984, the same year the song Karma Chameleon topped the Billboard Hot 100.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day