- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
As is true in any great hip-hop (or in this case, hip-pop) feud, the battle between Chris Brown and Drake has already taken a head-spinning amount of twists and turns. And it hasn’t even been two days.
News broke in the wee hours of Thursday morning that the duo became engaged in a war of words, and flying glass, while partying at W.i.P. nightclub in New York. Initial reports stated that Brown had sent a bottle over to Drake’s table, to which Drake responded in a less-than-grateful manner. At some point, a bottle was thrown and shards of broken glass hit multiple patrons on the scene, including Brown. The “Don’t Wake Me Up” singer tweeted a photo of a bloody gash on his chin, alleging that it was from the incident. Reportedly, the feud began over singer Rihanna, who shares a romantic history with both men.
According to the NYPD, five people were injured but no arrests were made in conjunction with the event. The two artists had left the scene by the time cops arrived.
Below, find the top 10 developments of Thursday and Friday including an arrest, famous bystanders and the woman at the center of it all, Rihanna, appearing unfazed by the whole thing.
1. Brown Tweets (Thursday, Appx. 4 a.m. ET): The 22-year-old took to his trusty Twitter account to share a photo of his bloodied chin paired with messages including: “How u party wit rich n**** that hate? Lol… Throwing bottles like girls? #shameonya!” and “Ok! N****s stand behind security! Ok! U don’t pay them enough.” The tweets have since been deleted.
2. (Conflicting) Reports Surface (Thursday, Appx. 8 a.m. ET) : One story from TMZ claimed that Drake punched Brown in the face, while the Daily Mail alleged that Drake sent a nasty note back to the singer, who then became enraged.
3. Drake Breaks His Silence (Thursday, Appx. 2 p.m. ET): “Drake did not participate in any wrongdoing of any kind last night at W.i.P. He was on his way out of the club when the altercation began. (Drake) did not engage in any activity which resulted in injury to person or damage to property,” a statement from the Young Money rapper read. Drake has continued to remain silent on Twitter, with his last tweet dating back to June 11.
4. Video Footage Hits the Web (Thursday, Appx. 6 p.m. ET): A glimpse of the fight was posted on YouTube later that day. In the dark footage, a man who appears to be Brown can be seen in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen escaping a headlock. Later, a large man wearing a blood-spattered wifebeater comes into view after leaving Brown’s area of the club. Not long after that, another large man appears on screen and a punch is thrown.
5. Brown Takes it to Authorities (Thursday, Appx. 10 p.m. ET): Brown’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, presented the NYPD with “physical evidence” purportedly proving Drake as an instigator in the brawl. According to TMZ, Brown later talked to detectives and is being labeled as a “witness and a victim” instead of a suspect; for that matter, Drake isn’t a suspect either, but it is not known whether he has spoken with police.
6. Rihanna Hits the New York City Club Scene (Friday, Early Morning): The pop star was spotted out and about at Jay-Z’s 40/40 Club in NYC on Thursday night, just one day after her exes’ bloody battle. When questioned about the incident, Rihanna kept mum.
7. Club Manager Arrested (Friday, Appx. 2 a.m. ET): Jonathan Cantor, who runs the Soho basement club W.i.P., was carried off to jail around 2 a.m. on Friday, less than 24 hours after the confrontation in question. Police, responding to a noise complaints, conducted a business inspection of the venue; Cantor, who has two outstanding arrest warrants against him, was handed summons for alcohol beverage control and violation of fire code.
8. City Council Gets Involved (Friday, Early Afternoon): City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called a meeting over bottle service with the NYPD and members of the nightlife industry on Friday. “The purpose of this meeting is to send a clear message to all nightclub patrons that bottles cannot be used as weapons and to determine if the guidelines surrounding bottle service need to be updated or reworked,” Quinn said in a statement.
9. Brown’s Managers Deny, Deny, Deny (Friday, Appx. 1 p.m. ET): “There was no bottle sent to @drake and there was no note! Stop the lies, TMZ/MTO!!!! There were no punches thrown, just glass,” Phase Too, the management team behind Brown, tweeted on Friday. “Every day/hour there is a new lie. What’s next? Chris Brown hit himself? This was not a Chris Brown fight nor brawl. He did nothing! Stop!” they later added.
10. Additional Casualties (Developing): Brown wasn’t the only one to walk away with an injury – NBA star (and Eva Longoria’s ex husband) Tony Parker was also on hand for the fun, landing some shards of glass in his left eye. “I was there with a bunch of friends when a fight broke out. They started to throw bottles about … I got it all,” Parker said in a news conference. “The cornea has been touched. I can’t do anything for seven days … But I was lucky. The injury won’t prevent me from competing the Olympics in any way.”
Model Ingrid Gutierrez, who was reportedly sitting at Brown’s table when the fight broke out, was said to have been hit in the head with a bottle that left her bleeding. Her lawyer tells E! News that Gutierrez is “aggressively investigating all aspects of the fight,” sending out subpoena’s to W.i.P. She hopes to obtain security videos, as well as the names of all staff members on duty that night. “Plastic surgery is probably likely,” her lawyer said. “At this moment right now she is just getting treated.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day