- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Celebrated actress, singer and songwriter Cynthia Erivo announced Friday her debut album will drop later in the summer.
Along with the news that Ch. 1 vs. 1 will arrive Sept. 17, the Oscar-nominated actress released her first pop-soul debut single, “The Good,” along with a music video directed by Mollie Mills.
“In storytelling, chapter one and verse one is the way you always begin, and because I believe I’m a storyteller, that’s what I wanted to do with my music,” Erivo said in a statement. “That’s what this is about, just starting [and revealing] the human parts of me that you don’t often get to see.”
The Mills-directed music video features Erivo as a woman remembering the positive memories of her failed relationship and the love between two Black women. “I wanted to normalize seeing Black women in a relationship on screen, because often it’s really fetishistic,” Erivo says.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day