- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Within the first 12 hours of news that David Bowie had died on Sunday, 35 million people had 100 million interactions about the rock icon’s passing on Facebook.
Among those interactions were posts from Paul McCartney, Lenny Kravitz and Ricky Gervais, making for some of the social network’s top pieces from public figures.
Additionally, according to data from Facebook, the countries most engaged in the news were Bowie’s home nation of the United Kingdom, followed by Australia, Iceland, Ireland and New Zealand.
Bowie’s death was announced first thing Monday morning local time in London, while much of the Western Hemisphere was still asleep — presumably accounting for low engagement in the United States and the rest of the region.
Read on for a rundown of Facebook engagement around Bowie’s death.
Facebook’s Top 10 Countries Most Engaged in the News:
1. United Kingdom
5. New Zealand
Facebook’s Top Five Posts From Public Figures:
1. David Bowie
2. Eddie Izzard
3. Paul McCartney
4. Ricky Gervais
5. Lenny Kravitz
This article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day