- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Chicago footwork mastermind DJ Rashad has died of a drug overdose. Complex first reported the news, which a rep from Rashad’s label Hyperdub later confirmed to Billboard that they will release an official statement on Monday morning.
On April 26, DJ Godfather was scheduled to perform with Rashad, along with DJ Spinn, at Detroit’s Inhale Art Expo. Earlier that evening, he tweeted that sources had informed him that Rashad had passed earlier in the day from a drug overdose.
Though the news is still technically unconfirmed, musicians, writers, and music fans alike, including DJ Spinn and Chance the Rapper, who toured with DJ Rashad last fall, have been expressing condolences for DJ Rashad on Twitter. For many, the news is especially raw so soon after the death of house legend Frankie Knuckles earlier this month.
A pioneer and integral member of footwork, juke-informed house music characterized by rhythmic complexity and experimental sounds that got its name from the dance style of feet moving at breakneck speed, DJ Rashad released his last LP, Double Cup, late last year. Earlier this month he dropped the EP We On 1.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day