- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
DMX will fight George Zimmerman in a celebrity boxing match, TMZ has confirmed.
The New York-born rapper was selected out of more than 15,000 applicants, according to promoter Damon Feldman, who put out a call for challengers late last month. Another who accepted was The Game, although Zimmerman’s camp chose against it, perhaps because of the rapper’s 6’5″, 240-pound build.
DMX says he will be fighting for “every black person who has been done wrong in the system.” His goal, according to TMZ, is to “beat the living f— out him. I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f— him right up,” DMX says.
In order to address potential threats to Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer who was acquitted last year in the murder of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin, the fight will take place at an undisclosed location with only 100 people present. Paying viewers will be able to watch the match online.
DMX last released a studio album in 2012, Undisputed, which debuted at No. 19 on the Billboard 200.
Zimmerman will reportedly donate the earnings to charity.
The announcement was made on Feb. 4, just one day before what would have been Trayvon Martin’s 19th birthday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day