- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
CAMDEN, Maine (AP) — The wife of “American Pie” singer and songwriter Don McLean has filed for divorce in Maine.
A lawyer for Patrisha McLean says the legal papers filed Thursday cite “adultery, cruel and abusive treatment, and irreconcilable differences.” The two have been married for 30 years.
Camden resident Don McLean was arrested in January on charges including domestic violence assault. He has pleaded not guilty.
He has been prohibited from having contact with his wife. A statement from Patrisha McLean’s attorney, Gene Libby, says she’s gained “strength and insight away from his influence and control.”
Don McLean’s divorce lawyer, Michael Asen, says his client denies the characterizations made by his wife’s lawyer. He also says the singer-songwriter “cares very deeply about his wife and family” and that “this wasn’t what he wanted.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day