- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The man suspected of killing the father of Nicki Minaj in a hit-and-run has been arrested, according to Nassau County Police Department.
Robert Maraj, 64, while on foot was hit by a car that did not stop in Mineola, Long Island on Friday evening, police reported. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead on Saturday.
Charles Polevich, 70, of Guam, who also lives in Mineola, will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident with a fatality and tampering with evidence, police said.
Nassau Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick said Wednesday during a media conference that Polevich allegedly fled once he realized Maraj was seriously injured. “He was absolutely aware of what happened,” Fitzpatrick told reporters. “He got out of the car; he looked at the deceased, got into his car, and made a conscious decision to leave.” Police alleged Polevich tried to hide his car after the incident.
The superstar Minaj, who born Onika Tanya Maraj in Trinidad and raised in Queens, had a strained relationship with her father, previously discussing how he was abusive towards her mother, once setting fire to their house while her mother was inside.
10:45 a.m.: Updated with additional information from media conference.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day