- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — A Long Island doctor accepted cash bribes and tickets to Justin Bieber and Katy Perry concerts to steer business to a New Jersey blood lab, federal prosecutors said.
Bret Ostrager, 55, of Woodbury, New York, accepted monthly bribes of $3,300 from employees and associates of Biodiagnostic Laboratory Services in Parsippany, prosecutors said. They allege he also received thousands of dollars’ worth of meals and tickets to sporting events, concerts and the Broadway musical Newsies.
In return, prosecutors claim Ostrager referred his patients’ blood samples to BLS, generating just over $900,000 in business for the lab.
He was indicted in Newark, New Jersey, on Tuesday on charges of violating anti-kickback laws and other offenses. He practices in Nassau County.
Thirty-eight people, including 26 doctors, have pleaded guilty in connection with the bribery scheme, prosecutors said. Its organizers have admitted that millions of dollars of bribes resulted in more than $100 million in payments to BLS from Medicare and private insurers.
The investigation has recovered more than $11.5 million through forfeiture.
Ostrager faces up to five years in prison if convicted. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday.
Ostrager’s attorney could not be reached for comment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day