- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Like a real-life Dexter (minus the murdering part), eccentric Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne is using the actual blood of musicians such as Bon Iver, Chris Martin, Erykah Badu, Neon Indian and Nick Cave, among others, to promote his band’s special record store day release, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends.
All are collaborators on the track list for the limited edition, four-sided picture disc album, which will be released on April 21. In its fifth year, Record Store Day is a celebration of the distinctive culture surrounding hundreds of independently owned record stores in the United States and around the world, not to mention the sheer art of music.
Q&A: ‘Shameless’ Music Supervisor on the Show’s Devotion to Indie Rock
Said Coyne in a March 27 interview with MTV Hive: “I don’t have everybody’s blood just yet, but I collected quite a few vials of blood and it’s actually sitting in my refrigerator as we speak.”
He added that he plans to make a record with every featured artists and infuse their blood into the vinyl pressing like specimen slides from a laboratory. A limited number, five or six, will be made and likely sold to “interesting rich Flaming Lips people,” Coyne elaborated.
PHOTOS: Scores That Rock: 10 Musicians Who Crossed Over to Movies
Of the Lips’ collaborators, Coyne confessed that Ke$ha and Bon Iver were his two favorites, but declined to state whose blood he has collected so far. “You don’t really realize how many people are afraid of needles until you say, ‘Hey, I’m going to send someone by the show tonight to get some of your blood,’” Coyne cracked, adding that he was a taken aback since some of the donors sport multiple tattoos.
Check out the full track listing for The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends below and see who the other potential donors are:
1. 2012 (featuring Ke$ha and Biz Markie)?
2. Ashes In The Air (featuring Bon Iver)?
3. Helping The Retarded To Know God (featuring Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
1. Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee (featuring Prefuse 73)?
2. Children Of The Moon (featuring Tame Impala)?
3. That Ain’t My Trip (featuring Jim James of My Morning Jacket)?
4. You, Man? Human? (featuring Nick Cave)
1. I’m Working At NASA On Acid (featuring Lightning Bolt)?
2. Do It! (featuring Yoko Ono)?
3. Is David Bowie Dying? (featuring Neon Indian)
1. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (featuring Erykah Badu)?
2. Thunder Drops (featuring New Fumes)?
3. I Don’t Want You To Die (featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day