- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Before “We Are Young” earned the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and before Fun. took home the trophy for Best New Artist, collaborator Janelle Monae was singing the group’s praises on the red carpet.
“I love Fun.,” she said, noting that she would “absolutely” work with them again in the future. “They’re great guys. They’re incredible artists and musicians.”
Monae, who is featured on the infectious track, reveled in the Grammy environment, confessing that walking the same red carpet as Michael Jackson, Prince and Stevie Wonder — all cited as “musical heroes” of hers — once walked still seems surreal.
“It still does mean a lot to me,” she said of being invited to the festivities.
“We Are Young,” which hit the summit of Billboard’s Hot 100 singles chart in March, has “cross generational” appeal, Monae says.
“I think people want to decompress. Everything is about balance,” she said. “You can’t work, work, work, work without any play. And I think ‘We Are Young’ taps into the side of you that wants to have a good time, that wants to be festive and be with your friends and your loved ones.”
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day