- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The hour won’t be lonely for Sam Smith tonight, as he’ll have quite a few Grammys to keep him company.
In just his first Grammy Awards ceremony, the soulful singer has come up big, winning four trophies during tonight’s telecast, including song of the year and record of the year for his hit “Stay With Me (Darkchild Version).”
The night started out fortuitously for Smith when he won best new artist — the night’s first televised award — and the wins just kept rolling in. Though he ultimately lost to Beck’s Morning Phase for album of the year, Smith’s debut album, In the Lonely Hour, still won for best pop vocal album — making Smith the first openly gay male to win the award.
In his record of the year acceptance speech, Smith thanked “the man I fell in love with who broke my heart,” before punctuating his win with a final triumphant blow: “Because of you, I won four Grammys.”
Smith tied with Beyonce for the most nominations this year with six.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day