- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Watch out for Sam Smith — he is the official best new artist, as noted at Sunday’s 57th Grammy Awards.
The soulful musician won the award over fellow newcomers Iggy Azalea, Bastille, Brandy Clark and Haim. This marks Smith’s first Grammy win.
The London-born Smith sauntered onstage, quickly cycling through thank-yous and I-love-yous before cheerfully exclaiming, “I won a Grammy!”
The night wasn’t over yet for Smith, however, as he quickly scooped up best pop vocal album for his debut, In the Lonely Hour, becoming the first openly gay male to win the award.
Overall, Smith won four awards, including the prizes for song of the year and record of the year, for his hit “Stay With Me (Darkchild Version),” marking an eventful first showing for the crooner.
This year, Smith and Beyonce were tied for the most nominations with six, but Smith has more in the major categories. Still, Beyonce’s six nods have officially made her the most Grammy-nominated woman in history.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day