- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Beginning the show with a performance of “XXX,” Lamar took the stage joined by masked dancers in military fatigues beneath screens displaying a waving American flag. As the lights onstage went out, U2’s Bono and The Edge joined Lamar onstage, then exited as fireworks fell from the rafters and Lamar and his dancers broke down the beat.
After the song, Chappelle took the stage and introduced himself. “I just wanted to remind the audience that the only thing more frightening than watching a black man be honest in America is being an honest black man in America,” he said.
Lamar is a seven-time Grammy winner and has seven nominations this year: record of the year, best rap performance, best rap song, best music video (“HUMBLE.”), album of the year and best rap album (DAMN.), as well as best rap/sung performance (“LOYALTY.” featuring Rihanna).
Chappelle went on to win the best comedy album Grammy later on Sunday night.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day