- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Prince delivered a pointed statement while taking the stage at the 57th annual Grammy.
The music icon, decked out in an outlandish orange getup, was presenting the award for album of the year at the Staples Center on Sunday. Beck won the prize.
“Albums — remember those?” Prince said before handing out the Grammy. “Albums still matter. Albums, like books and black lives, still matter.”
His comment is a reference to the hashtag #BlackLiveMatter, which began trending after George Zimmerman was acquitted for Trayvon Martin‘s murder.
Diversity has been a topic of discussion for Hollywood lately, with the Academy earning criticism for the fact that all of this year’s Oscar nominees are white.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Andrew Lloyd Webber Says His Son Has Been Checked Into Hospice Care After His “Ghastly” Cancer Diagnosis
Christina Applegate Slams Candace Owens’ Criticism of Underwear Ad Featuring Model in Wheelchair: “My Rage Is Keeping Me Awake”
Justin Roiland Domestic Violence Charges Dismissed by Orange County District Attorney
The Stories Behind Whitney Houston’s Unreleased Gospel Songs: “She Left Healing Music for the World”