- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If you grew up in the 1990s, there’s a good chance that Green Day’s albums Dookie and Insomniac were early favorites, seminal building blocks in your music taste and perhaps even a gateway drug into punk rock. If that’s the case, their Grammy-winning political rock opera phase might have seemed like a strange (even if welcome) sojourn, and you’ll be glad to know that the Green Day of old is back.
With the first single from the first of their upcoming albums ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! and ¡Tré!, the band has returned to its power pop roots. “Oh Love” is all power-chord strumming, simple drum beats and sing-chanting, with an underlying rhythm has served them so well.
“The first one is power pop,” he said. “The second is more garage-y, Nuggets-type rock. And the third is supposed to be epic. With the first album, you’re getting in the mood to party. On the second one, you’re at the party. And the third album, you’re cleaning up the mess.”
Uno! hits shelves on Sept. 25, followed by ¡Dos¡ on Nov. 13 and ¡Tré! on Jan 15.
Check out the lyric video for “Oh Love” below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day