- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Two would-be hit men from Albuquerque, N.M. — Mark Staake and his nephew Tanner Ruane — had plans to stalk and kill the singer while he visited New York for a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden, police say.
According to police, Staake had befriended a third man, Dana Martin, while both were incarcerated in Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility in Las Cruces. Martin, who is serving two life sentences for the 2000 murder and rape of a 15-year-old girl in Vermont, recruited Staake to execute a series of killings on his behalf after Staake was released.
Among them, Martin ordered “the murder and castration of Bieber and his bodyguard,” Albuquerque’s KRQE reports. Martin allegedly is obsessed with the Canadian pop star and even has a tattoo of Bieber on his leg.
Tipped by Martin himself, police recorded several phone conversations between Staake and Ruane that took place after Staake had been arrested in Vermont on outstanding warrants.
In them, Ruane complained of being disappointed at not being able to carry out the murders. He later was arrested by police in New York, who found weapons and pruning sheers on him.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day