- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Los Angeles coroner’s office released the full report of their autopsy on Tuesday morning, and chief Craig Harvey says the 44-year-old, whose real name was Dwight Arrington Myers, died of pulmonary embolism.
A blockage of one or more arteries in the lungs, a pulmonary embolism is often caused by blood clots traveling from other parts of the body. Myers said Heavy D’s clot was “most likely formed during an extended airplane ride.”
The rapper had recently returned to his home in Los Angeles from a trip to London.
Medical examiners also concluded that Heavy D suffered from deep leg vein thrombosis and heart disease. He was not, as many speculated, battling pneumonia at the time of his death.
“He was treating himself with cough syrup,” Harvey acknowledged. “But it was not contributory [to his death].”
Heavy D died after collapsing outside his Beverley Hills home. Paramedics initially found him conscious and breathing, but he died soon after at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day