- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A deranged fan sent Jared Leto a severed ear, which the actor and rocker now wears around his neck like jewelry.
Speaking to U.K. radio station Xfm on March 22, Leto, 41, relayed the twisted tale.
“The fans are an incredibly committed and passionate group of people. Going to a show is kind of like visiting Japan — you expect gifts on your arrival,” he said. “You get all kinds of wonderful things.”
He went on: “Someone cut their ear off once and sent it to me. That was very strange. A whole ear. The Van Gogh move. The note just said, ‘Are you listening?’ I never knew who it was, who’s missing their ear out there.”
“I poked a hole in it and wore it as a necklace!” Leto added.
To prove he was telling the truth, Leto posted a photo of the ear to his Instagram account, with the caption, “Are you listening?”
Leto’s band, Thirty Seconds to Mars, has announced that its fourth studio album, Love Lust Faith + Dreams, will be released on May 21 through Virgin Records.
Calls to Leto’s reps for comment were not immediately answered.
UPDATE: Internet sleuths are arguing the ear in the photo is actually a prop, sold to consumers under the name Bill Oberst Jr.’s Severed Ear.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day