- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
SAO PAULO (AP) — Jennifer Lopez won’t perform the World Cup’s official song alongside fellow artists Pitbull and Claudia Leitte during the tournament’s opening ceremony in Brazil, FIFA officials said Sunday.
Soccer’s governing body said Lopez cannot perform at Thursday’s event as earlier planned because of unspecified “production issues.” The singer’s representative did not immediately respond to a request for additional information.
FIFA said in a news release that Cuban-American rapper Pitbull and Brazilian singer Leitte will sing the official tune “We Are One” before Brazil takes on Croatia at the Thursday opener in Sao Paulo.
The song has let down many Brazilians who complain that it sounds too generic for the nation’s Bossa Nova-crazed audiences and that it features foreign musicians singing mostly in English and Spanish. Leitte sings only a few seconds at the end of the song in her native Portuguese.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Harassment in Hollywood
Los Angeles District Attorney Decides Against Bringing Charges in Armie Hammer Sexual Misconduct Case
Boston University President Accuses 2023 Graduates of “Cancel Culture” After They Boo David Zaslav During Commencement
Raising Our Voices
“Can I Invite You to Think Differently About Me?” A Candid Convo Between THR Trailblazers Eva Longoria and Niecy Nash-Betts