- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In addition to the much buzzed about Darth Vader ad that Volkswagen rolls out for Super Bowl XLV, the company presents another audio-visual spectacle to the tune of the 1977 hit “Black Betty” by Ram Jam.
Nineties blues rockers and indie darlings Jon Spencer Blues Explosion cover the song, while the ad delves deep into the microscopic world of Insectopia, where CGI bugs go about their daily lives through a jungly maze of obstacles. Naturally, a 2012 black Beetle is the star of this campaign.
Says Bank Robber Music’s Lyle Hysen, who was contacted by Deutsch about the ad: “If one band is going to do this song and get it right for the 21st century, it’s going to be The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.”
Immediately following the Super Bowl, Volkswagen will execute a digital and social media campaign, including an ESPN mobile takeover, VW.com blog, Facebook activations, and a YouTube homepage containing a series of webisodes called “Inside the VW Academy.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day