- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Comedy Central roast of Justin Bieber did not fail to live up to the sky-high expectations, with comedians, celebrities, Bieber friends and even Ron Burgundy tearing the singer a new one before the 21-year-old took the mic himself.
Here are 11 highlights from Monday’s telecast of the show, which was taped live on March 14:
1. At the start of the show, Kevin Hart took a shot at 43-year-old Snoop Dogg that caused the rapper to double over: “Let me clear something up for all the young people in the building — Snoop Dogg is a rapper,” Hart quipped. “He’s my aunt’s favorite rapper.”
2. Any Jaden Smith reaction shot was gold — particularly the young rapper cheering on the Biebs when he came out with a gospel choir, and losing his mind during Ron Burgundy’s surprise entrance.
3. SNL star Pete Davidson‘s funniest moment actually came after his bit ended, when he told the camera during some B-roll footage, “I always wanted to make fun of [Bieber] because everybody my age likes him more than they like me. And that’s not cool.”
4. The cringe-iest reaction from Bieber all night came after this joke from Natasha Leggero: “Justin was born to a single teenage mom. No wonder he’s got moves — he was in the womb dodging a coat hanger!” The Biebs looked like he got hit by a truck after that one.
5. Out of nowhere, Shaquille O’Neal took time out of his monologue to drop a few basketball disses toward Los Angeles Clippers star Chris Paul, who was watching from the audience. “Hey Chris, the way you guys be playing, you’re not gonna be winning any rings. … You guys suck!” Shaq proclaimed.
6. “Who’s that?” — what Bieber mouthed when comedian Chris D’Elia said that the pop superstar dressed like “Sharon Stone in the ’90s.”
7. Martha Stewart concluded that Bieber would someday end up in prison (as she had been), and gave him a tidy do-it-yourself recipe for the perfect shank. “Pintail comb and a pack of gum!” she exclaimed, name-checking Bubblicious.
8. There was a nice round of applause when Jeff Ross pointed out Dave Chappelle, who was watching the roast from the back of the audience. “Thank you so much for flying in from South Africa to be with us tonight,” Ross quipped to the former Comedy Central star.
9. Going off-script, Snoop Dogg took some shots at fellow rapper Ludacris, who seemed to be a punching bag all night long. Snoop jokingly claimed that Luda had jacked his lyrics, and spouted some of his own: ” ‘There’s hos at the crib, there’s hos at the bar’ — n—a, are you a rapper or Dr. Seuss?”
10. After Hannibal Buress delivered his inevitable joke, “I hate your music more than Bill Cosby hates my comedy,” there was a reaction shot from Gloria Allred, the attorney who has defended Cosby’s rape accusers and was somehow in the audience!
11. When it was Bieber’s turn to talk, he also took a swipe at Ludacris, who recorded the smash 2010 hit “Baby” with the Biebs. “He told me it was the only ‘baby’ he had on purpose,” Bieber spouted, which caused Ludacris to grimace but then slowly clap.
Check out a roundup of other great moments below.
A version of this article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day