- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
American Idol season-one runner-up Justin Guarini has been cast as the male lead in the Broadway production of Wicked, according to Broadway World.
Guarini, who has appeared on Broadway in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, American Idiot and the most recent production of Romeo and Juliet, with Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad, will take over the role of Fiyero Tigelaar, the character who becomes Elphaba’s love interest. The character is an Arjiki prince from the Vinkus who attends Shiz University.
Guarini will join new castmates Christine Dwyer (Elphaba), Jenni Barber (Glinda), two-time Tony nominee Mary Testa (Madam Morrible) and returning star P.J. Benjamin (The Wizard) on Feb. 25.
The 35-year-old Doylestown, Pa., native is also set to perform in the show Lovesick, with a nine-piece band and music from Burt Bacharach, Beck and Ben Folds. Performances are at 8 p.m. on Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, Pa. The show, written by Guarini, is billed as a tribute to all of the crazy places love has taken the Idol alum.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day