- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kanye West holds his wife Kim Kardashian‘s reality show Keeping Up With The Kardashians in higher esteem than the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
In a recent interview, he said the show should have “plenty of Emmys by now.”
Speaking with fashion website SHOWstudio, the hip-hop icon said, “I feel proud to be in a family that has, you know, so many people breaking ground for the generations to come. I just feel it’s like, ‘Whoa, reality show, that’s so f—ing new of an art form.’ “
West continued, asserting that there’s a prejudice against reality shows like there used to be against rap music.
“My wife and my family should’ve had plenty of Emmys by now, but reality shows are considered to be like rap was when the Mondrian [hotel] wouldn’t let Run-D.M.C. and mother-f—ing Will Smith stay there because they were rappers,” he said. “The idea of a reality star not being allowed in to a fashion show or not being nominated for their show, even if it’s the longest running and the most popular and … everybody I know watches it.”
Elsewhere in the nearly two-hour interview, Yeezy compared himself to Michelangelo, discussing his art, the fashion industry and his place in it all.
Watch the full discussion here:
This article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day