- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Twenty-five-year-old Teyana Taylor got the performance bug as a child and has been on the radar for years, but the singer-actress-dancer got exposed to a massive new audience on Sunday night when the 2016 VMAs debuted Kanye West’s “Fade” video, which stars Taylor going through some sweaty/sexy exercise choreography a la Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.
If you’re not familiar with Taylor, here are five quick facts about the Harlem-born multihyphenate.
1. “Fade” Is Far From Her First Collab With Kanye
Taylor provides vocals to Kanye’s 2010 masterpiece My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy on the songs “Dark Fantasy” and “Hell of a Life.” She also sings on “Christmas In Harlem” from his GOOD Music comp Cruel Summer (she’s signed to the label, as well as Def Jam).
2. She Has History With MTV
Aside from being prominently featured in the 2016 VMAs broadcast, Taylor starred in a 2007 episode of MTV’s My Super Sweet 16. Her party was ‘80s themed and she received a BMX bicycle and Range Rover as gifts.
3. She’s Engaged and a Mother
Her fiance, Cleveland Cavaliers player Iman Shumpert, delivered the couple’s baby girl in their house in December 2015 after she went into labor early.
4. Her Debut Album Was a Billboard Chart-Topper
2014’s VII hit No. 1 on Billboard’s R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
5. Her Second Studio Album Is in the Works
“Freak On,” produced by DJ Mustard featuring Chris Brown, came out this summer and may feature on her in-the-works next studio album, which doesn’t have a release date.
This article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day