- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
It’s sad but true. Everyone had a pretty good laugh at Spencer Morrill when he appeared on Catfish: The TV Show believing he had been dating Katy Perry for six years, only to find out it wasn’t true. Everyone but Perry herself, that is.
Appearing on SiriusXM’s The Morning Mash Up on Thursday, Perry said, “You know, like, my heart goes out to him actually because anybody that’s been fooled like that or just, you know, people have dreams, and people live in different parts of world where not everything is always so accessible… I felt bad for him, and so I didn’t really like to indulge in that, because my heart would die.”
The singer added that someone had sent her a link to the story, but she didn’t even read through the whole thing because she found it “really unfortunate and very sad.”
Morrill was so head over heels for the pop star he believed he was dating that he had an engagement ring made for her using his grandmother’s emerald. The two of them had never actually met in person and had only spoken once over the phone. Otherwise, they communicated via a messaging app and email.
The ‘catfish’-er turned out to be a Canadian woman living in England.
This article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day