- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Marc Anthony received the International Artist Award of Excellence at the 2019 Latin American Music Awards on Thursday night, presented to him by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo.
“He has conquered the world singing salsa, merengue, bolero and pop. Today, he’s at a global level,” she said before calling the salsa singer onstage.
“Thank you, I would rather sing than talk, but I have to say that this doesn’t happen in one day. We’ve been at this for almost 30 years,” Marc kicked off his speech. “I need to thank Magnus, Sony, my family and my children who have sacrificed so much. Thank you, Puerto Rico and the Latin culture. I also want to dedicate this award to my dear brother, José José.”
After his acceptance speech, Marc performed a heartfelt tribute to the late Mexican singer by singing “Almohada.”
Handed out for the first time, the International Artist Award of Excellence honors artists who turn the world around with their greatness, crossing barriers of language, race or religion. Their nationality has no borders; they stand for peace, and their songs reverberate as musical anthems.
Watch Marc Anthony receiving the award and his performance below.
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day