- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Nothing is quite as satisfying as the inventive cover song — see Fountains of Wayne’s take on Britney Spears‘ “Baby … One More Time” or Johnny Cash‘s version of Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt” — especially when that tune is Lorde‘s addictive “Royals.”
The song hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today, making the 16-year-old New Zealander (nee Ella Yelich-O’Connor) the youngest female singer to top the charts since Tiffany in the 1980s. So it’s no wonder her peers are jumping on the bandwagon.
Taking the song for a retro spin is Mayer Hawthorne, who premieres his rendition via Vevo’s Unexpected Covers series on Friday, Oct. 4. Watch it below:
The Unexpected Covers series debuted with Passion Pit covering Fun.’s “Carry On.” Said Passion Pit singer Michael Angelakos: “I think it’s one of the prettiest songs on the radio.”
Hawthorne released his third studio album, Where Does This Door Go, on July 16.
Lorde’s debut, Pure Heroine, released Oct. 1, is expected to land at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 next week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day