- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
As rain beat down Wednesday on the stage of the open-air Estadio Nacional in Santiago, Chile, the pop queen berated a small crowd granted access to her sound check for smoking cigarettes in her vicinity.
It began when her white umbrella inverted — drawing big laughs from the crowd — whereupon the singer, wrapped in a hooded black coat, abruptly stopped a performance of “Human Nature.”
“There are people smoking right now,” she said. “No smoking. If you’re going to smoke cigarettes, I’m not doing a show. You don’t care about me, I don’t care about you — all right? Are we going to play that game? I’m not kidding. I can’t sing if you smoke.”
“Entiendes?” she asked the Spanish-speaking crowd.
“You’re looking right at me and smoking cigarettes, like I’m a stupid f—ing idiot,” Madonna said, then stormed off the stage.
It’s certainly not the first time she’s antagonized her fans on the MDNA tour. At her Miami date, she kept the audience waiting for more than three hours before taking the stage.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day