- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Madonna is mourning the death of her grandmother, Elsie Mae Fortin, who passed away Wednesday at age 99 in Bay City, Mich.
She was to turn 100 in three months, according to reports.
She is survived by four children, 36-grandchildren, 47-great grandchildren and six great, great grandchildren.
Fortin helped raise Madonna after the singer’s mother died of breast cancer in 1963 (Madonna was 5 at the time).
Fortin lived alone, but remained close to Madonna, who often visited for several weeks during the summers.
In an emailed statement, Madonna’s longtime publicist Liz Rosenberg said: “I’m sorry, but Madonna will not be issuing any statements or conversing with the media regarding her grandmother. It is a totally personal matter to her.”
A funeral mass will be held Saturday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Stranger Things 4
This Is Me ... Now